Sunday, September 20, 2009

Croup

Yesterday we spent the day at Cape Fear ER. Marissa was up all night with a terrible barking cough. I have a cool mist humidifier so I had that going and continued to check on her periodically, hoping that it'd get better. Turns out it didn't. Around 10am she was having a very hard time breathing, lots of wheezing and grabbing at her chest. After calling our Primary Care Manager (PCM), I was told that wouldn't be able to see her today. sigh...

So, I opted for the local ER. We spent a few hours there, just sitting around, people watching, until our number was called. Turns out Marissa needed a steroid injection, something not too uncommon to help alleviate croup symptoms. We were also given an over-the-counter prescription for steroids as well.

We were seen by a Physician's Assistant (PA) who absolutely loved Marissa. He just couldn't say enough good things about her, which thrilled me, of course. He told me that she was having such a hard time breathing, more so than a typical child with croup, because she has low tone throughout her body. I knew she had low tone, as that's a characteristic of Down Syndrome, but I didn't really relate it to her ability to breath. Anyway, the injection helped, but the OTC meds seems to be making a larger impact.

She's doing much better today and we are still on schedule with her helmet therapy. Today is 4 hours on, 1 hour off for the whole day. She's not thrilled with it, but it's getting better. I think....

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

3 comments:

Cammie Heflin said...

I hate the croup, my kids have all fought it, it's no fun. My asthmatic really struggles with it and he's 10! Hope she feels better soon!

sara p said...

so sorry to here about you time spent in the "er" but thats great that they could help her, hope she feels better soon:)

Lori said...

Ugh - Croup season is upon us again! Anna was hospitalized twice last winter with croup - I am praying we can avoid this year. I know it sounds worse than what it really is - but oh, it just breaks my heart to hear them struggling just to breathe.
- I am glad you got out with just a shot and a prescription and didn't have to be admitted.